Awaken Adventures Child Protection Policy
Awaken Adventures acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice and NGB requirements.
The policy recognises that the welfare and interests of children are paramount in all circumstances. It aims to ensure that regardless of age, ability or disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, socio-economic background, all children
have a positive and enjoyable experience of sport at Awaken Adventures in a safe and child centred environment
- are protected from abuse whilst participating in activities provided by Awaken Adventures or outside of the activity.
Awaken Adventures acknowledges that some children, including disabled children and young people or those from ethnic minority communities, can be particularly vulnerable to abuse and we accept the responsibility to take reasonable and appropriate steps to ensure their welfare.
As part of our safeguarding policy Awaken Adventures will
- promote and prioritise the safety and wellbeing of children and young people
- ensure everyone understands their roles and responsibilities in respect of safeguarding and is provided with appropriate learning opportunities to recognise, identify and respond to signs of abuse, neglect and other safeguarding concerns relating to children and young people
- ensure appropriate action is taken in the event of incidents/concerns of abuse and support provided to the individual/s who raise or disclose the concern
- ensure that confidential, detailed and accurate records of all safeguarding concerns are maintained and securely stored
- prevent the employment/deployment of unsuitable individuals
- ensure robust safeguarding arrangements and procedures are in operation.
The policy and procedures will be widely promoted and are mandatory for everyone involved in Awaken Adventures. Failure to comply with the policy and procedures will be addressed without delay and may ultimately result in dismissal/exclusion from the organisation.
The policy will be reviewed a year after development and then every three years, or in the following circumstances:
- changes in legislation and/or government guidance
- as required by the Local Safeguarding Children Board, UK Sport and Sports Ireland, Canoeing Ireland, CAN, MTUK and Mountaineering Ireland.
- as a result of any other significant change or event.
It is assumed that when booking a young person (under the age of 18) on to an activity or event that full parental/guardian consent has been obtained by the person completing the booking, and they are fully aware of the potential risks involved. Depending on the activity being participated in the risks involved may include:
- changing weather conditions such as wet, icy, or slippery conditions that may result in falls.
- climbing on steep or vertical slopes that may result in falls or falling rock.
- immersion in water that may result in hypothermia or drowning.
- travel through outdoor environments which may result in injury from trees, branches, sticks, etc.
- activities near and travel on roads which may have vehicle traffic.
As the parent/guardian you are accepting this on behalf of the child. Participants should have the appropriate level of fitness. Please ensure that any medical conditions are disclosed to Staff. If necessary, medical conditions that will affect the way in which Awaken Adventures runs the activity should be discussed with management prior to the activity, please discuss with your doctor if needed.
(Last reviewed by Stephen Bell, April 2023)
Awaken Adventures Covid-19 Statement and Policy for Activities
The health, safety and well-being of all our clients and staff is, as always, paramount. All activities will be delivered in line with the government Covid-19 guidelines.
Participant declaration will be required before joining any activity that they have had no Covid related symptoms and that they haven’t had any known close contact with a Covid sufferer within the last 7 days. The participant accepts the fact that taking part in activities may increase the potential to interact with others and gives a greater potential exposure to Covid infection than not taking part.
Group sizes will be maintained in line with current government guidelines.
Good personal hygiene should be observed by everyone, ensure you wash your hands for 20 secs with soap and warm water when possible and bring your own hand sanitiser to use before, during and after the session. Please follow appropriate coughing and sneezing etiquette.
Although all equipment is provided, for water-based activities we would encourage participants if they have their own wetsuit to bring it and use it.
There are no changing facilities or toilets available at the various start locations of our activities. For water-based activities please arrive wearing your swimwear and/or change by your car.
All equipment will have been cleaned appropriately prior to each session.
After each session any personal protective equipment (PPE) used by the participants will be stored separately to be washed and disinfected before being used again.
When traveling to and from the venue we would normally encourage car sharing, however at this time if possible do not travel in a car with anyone outside of your household.
Upon arriving at the venue please park responsibly and considerately, don’t block gateways and keep access ways clear for emergency services and the local communities.
Please be self-sufficient on sessions, do not share personal equipment, food or drinks.
If you have booked with us and you or a member of your group has developed Covid-19 like symptoms please contact us as soon as possible.